Friday, July 17, 2009

Macrame - old school or a great inspiration?

When I mention macrame, I got frowns as responses.

I can understand the reaction. I don't like the hippie-style macrame like friendship bracelets...etc. Since I've discovered macrame elements in Vivien Tam's collections many years ago, I know it could be a good fashion statement if used appropriately. And recently I ran into an macrame book and I thought I'll give it a shot.

Macrame is a form of textile-making using knotting rather than weaving or knitting. Its primary knots are the square knot and forms of hitching (full hitch and double half hitches). - Quoted from Wikipedia.

Macrame can be used to create lace-like feature in bracelets or necklaces. I like it when it's created by threads than wires because it's a lot softer and romantic. And depending on the thickness of the threads, it could look strong and geometrical as well.

To show the variety of what macrame can do, here are two very different example:

(Left) GaelicKnotStudio on etsy (Right) afrigoddess on etsy

And funny enough, don't they somehow ressemble these?




Yes, I have some high hopes for macrame. I'll be playing around with it and hopefully post my first one soon on my esty store. So stay tuned.


Bookmark and Share



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin